[Xastir] Update wiki re: VM

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Mar 27 16:57:20 EDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 02:50:30PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 04:45:38PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <david.aitcheson at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> > Tom,
> >
> > As long as 8.04 (Hardy Heron) is still valid it needs to be supported!
>
> 8.04 *IS* the only VM we've got going.  The "08 hardy vm's" that Tom is
> referring to are virtual machines with versions of Hardy that have not been
> updated since mid-2008.  They also had versions of VMware tools that would
> not build properly should a user download the old virtual machine and apply
> system updates manually.  That version of VMware tools simply doesn't build
> with the newer kernels.
>
> The new VM is Hardy with all current updates applied and an updated VMware
> tools, and also with Xastir patched up to date.
>
> To date, nobody has bothered distributing an Xastir virtual machine with
> Intrepid.

You also seem to be a little confused about what it was that was removed.

Nobody's dropping support in Xastir for Hardy.  You can continue to use
Xastir on your Hardy systems until somebody somewhere breaks a library that
Xastir depends on (read "ImageMagick"), which will generally only take a few
days to fix anyway.

The files that Tom is tracking in his torrent tracker are virtual machines
containing full Xubuntu systems with Xastir, to be run on Losedows systems
under VMware, not binaries intended for users of Linux systems who can build
Xastir natively.  There is *no* value to keeping old virtual machines around
when an improved and more functional replacement exists.  What will wind up
happening is that someone will download the old one and then start asking for
support that has already been addressed precisely by creating and distributing
the new one.

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation