[Xastir] Placing Markers on map

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Mar 31 17:41:40 EDT 2009

On Sun, 29 Mar 2009, Brett Friermood wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out a good way to add markers to my map display.
>
> I would like to mark the locations of the DNR's fire towers around me to be
> able to plot sightings using a direction finding object.
>
> I thought of using objects, but I don't want to broadcast them if I choose
> to broadcast other objects. I was tried using a small picture with a .geo
> file, but when zooming in and out the size changes.
>
> Is there any other way to do something like this?

In other APRS programs an "overlay" file might be the best way to do
this.  Xastir doesn't support overlay files though.

I can think of a few ways, some better than others:

*) Run two instances of Xastir, one fed from the other.  One could
have object transmit turned off and have the fire towers displayed
on it.  The other would not, but would be able to transmit out other
objects.

*) Draw CAD Polygons using Xastir itself to represent the items of
interest.  These do not get transmitted, and are re-loaded at
startup.

*) Create a map containing the objects.  You could do this by
plotting an object and then moving it around to draw something with
it's track, then save the track.  This creates a shapefile map which
can then be renamed and moved to the Xastir Map heirarchy somewhere
and used as a regular map.

*) Another method similar to the last would be to create your own
GNIS file containing lines that describe objects you wish to place.
These are lines of text and so easy to edit.

*) Yet another method would be to create your own DOS or PocketAPRS
map and load it.

There may be other ways I can't think of just now, perhaps others
will pipe up with more ideas.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer