[Xastir] writing udev rules

Jeremy Utley jerutley at gmail.com
Sun May 3 13:04:03 EDT 2009

On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 11:48 AM, AC7YY - Kim <ac7yy at comcast.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-05-02 at 08:51 -0500, Jeremy Utley wrote:
>>
>> This would be done via custom udev rules.  The following web page will
>> give you a run down on writing your own custom rules for Udev:
>>
>> http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html
>>
>> Hope this helps!
>>
>> Jeremy, N0YAX
>
> This appears to be a solution to a problem I ran into with the
> installation of ubuntu 9.04 on my workstation. As I understand it, 9.04
> did away with the legacy method of creation of devices. It uses udev
> only.
>
> My problem here, is that pseudo tty ports (ptyp and ttyp pairs) do not
> exist in /dev  I have used these to access RF ports for xastir for the
> past few years.
>
> Reading the udev rules is confusing me. Has anyone created the ptyp/ttyp
> pairs using udev rules? An example would be outstanding.
>
> Advice ??
>
> kim - ac7yy

Udev has been standard in distributions for nearly 4 years now (
basically since the conversion to kernel 2.6 ) - Ubuntu has used it
since their first release.  If the ttyp# and ptyp# devices are not
showing up, I suspect it's because Ubuntu's kernel has Unix98 PTY's
turned off in it's configuration, or it's version of udev isn't
reading the information on the pty devices from sysfs - only by
looking at the kernel config file ( often available at /proc/config.gz
) or knowing where the PTY devices appear in sysfs could you find out
for sure.

-J-