[Xastir] test

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed May 6 15:25:08 EDT 2009

On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 11:43:19AM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net> flavor, containing:
> I'm not at the VM right now, so I can't do much more debugging until later
> this evening, but I can answer a few questions.
>
> I believe that the program at PID 5561 (in the example) was Xastir.
>
> Random...yes, but now it happens more often than not when I attempt to start
> Xastir.
>
> It happens during the startup of Xastir, typically before the Xastir window is
> displayed, but not always that early (sometimes I see the Xastir window
> flash).
>
> I suspect this may have something to do with map display...I've been playing
> with splitting the Tiger2008 data into smaller files (and have that part
> complete). It was after this splitting that Xastir started acting up on me.
> The resulting split multiples the number of files dramatically; I'd have to
> check to see just how many files I have in this Tiger2008 folder.

Yep, if it started showing up when you started this process, there's probably
something in that.

> I'll check /var/log/messages this evening and see if I can get any more
> details there. If this is Xastir, is there a particular debug flag (i.e., -v
> 4095) that I could set on startup to provide relevant information?

Try 528.  That's "map import/export debugging" and "map debugging".  Perhaps
some clue will come of what is happening right before the crash.

You might be able to stop the crash by hand-editing the
.xastir/config/selected_maps.sys file to remove the last batch of maps you
added.  This would at least tell you whether it was adding those maps that
started the crash, and start to narrow it down from there.

Since Xastir doesn't use the KDE libraries and therefore can't be *directly*
outputting that error message, it must be that something about the running
Xastir instance is causing a problem for the window manager or other system
component that *DOES* use KDE libraries.  This'll be a fun thing to track
down.  For values of fun approaching pain.