[Xastir] Linux Newbie Needs Help

Phil - w2lie w2lie at w2lie.net
Sat May 9 22:53:57 EDT 2009

Hi All, and thanks for all the replies and help.
I figured my problem with not being able to put text into the text
boxes.. It ended up being more of an issue of not being able to SEE the
text being entered.  I switched from KDE4 to another GUI, and the text
boxes were working.. I reverted back to KDE and switched my theme.  It
looks like the way I had KDE setup was it was a white box with white
text.  Now that I have that cleared up, I am running W2LIE-2 from the
house with XASTIR!

I am still playing with the maps and layering.  I have the Tigermaps
with the weather radar.  It looks great. I am going to try and bring in
some MapInfo layers so I can see the roads on top of the radar images.

Two other Linux questions for you guys:
I am running 1.9.4 since it was the 'stable' version of Xastir.  How
would I upgrade to the CVS Files? Would the following in Terminal work:?
/*cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at xastir.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/xastir login
followed by:
*//*cvs -z3
-d:pserver:anonymous at xastir.cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/xastir co -P
xastir*/
/*cd xastir*/
/*./bootstrap.sh*/
/*./configure*/
/*make*/
/*su*/
/*make install*/
/*chmod 4755 /usr/local/bin/xastir*/

Also I tired to make a small script on my desktop that would launch
'festival_server &' and then XASTIR.
I used the editor to create the file, and then tried to make it an
executable file..but when i click it, it seems to always want to open
the editor..  Am I better off starting festival as Linux Boots?  Also
when I exit XASTIR and restart it, I can't get festival to "bind" ?

Thanks again!!!
73
Phil / w2lie

--
www.w2lie.net
Long Island Live Scanner Feeds and Forums.