[Xastir] pos file

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri May 22 13:11:36 EDT 2009

On Fri, 22 May 2009, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> Hey Tom, how about using one of your scripts to do this so both of
> us don't reinvent the wheel here?  hi
>
>    xastir/scripts/object2shp.pl
>
> Thought process:
>
> 1) Bring the POS items in as objects by modifying the file slightly
> as was already reported to work here.
>
> 2) Take the object.log file and run it through object2shp.pl.
>
> 3) Put the new map (maps?) into your map directory, reindex, and use
> the new map as an overlay.
>
> We could automate step #1 with YAPS (yet another Perl script) later
> perhaps, but this should get overlay maps going for the weekend,
> right?

One downside:  The script depends on a few binaries which come with
the Shapelib install, but not with the internal Shapelib that we
ship inside the Xastir code:

     shpcreate
     dbfcreate
     shpadd
     dbfadd

On my system:

     > rpm -q -f /usr/bin/shpcreate
     shapelib-1.2.10-8.1

People will need to install Shapelib to use the script.

Hmmm.  I see the *.c files in xastir/src/shapelib, so perhaps it's
just a matter of running "make" there with the correct options.
They're defined in the "distdir" target but "make distdir" errors
out.

These _do_ work:
     make shpcreate
     make dbfcreate
     make shpadd
     make dbfadd

So then it's just a matter of making sure they're in your PATH when
you run the object2shp.pl script.  The Shapelib that we distribute
with Xastir _will_ work for this method!

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer