[Xastir] pos file

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri May 22 13:43:47 EDT 2009

Step-by-step method for how to use .POS files (overlay files) in
Xastir, for those of you who haven't been paying attention:

1) Bring the POS objects into Xastir by modifying the file slightly
and replacing the ~/.xastir/config/object.log file.  Restart Xastir.
Once the objects appear properly in Xastir you'll know you have the
format correct.  See earlier message for the tweaks needed to the
format (21 May 2009, same thread topic).

2) cd xastir/src/shapelib
    make shpcreate
    make dbfcreate
    make shpadd
    make dbfadd

3) Put these four new executables somewhere in your PATH or modify
PATH to add this directory.  We'll see about getting these installed
automatically when you compile Xastir, but probably not in time for
this weekend's activities!  Never mind - I see that Tom just did a
commmit to do the compile but not the install, but provided
instructions in the commit message for how to do the install as
well...  Thanks Tom!

4) Take the object.log file and run it through object2shp.pl.  See
instructions at the top of the script.

5) Rename the object.log file that you created above so that Xastir
won't load it upon startup.

6) Put the new map (maps?) into your map directory.

7) Reindex maps in Xastir.

8) Use the new map.

Later we can install those four executables automatically during the
Xastir install plus create a new script that converts .POS files to
Shapefile maps without the extra mucking about with file formats in
an editor.  These are trivial tasks.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer