[Xastir] pos file

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri May 22 14:07:27 EDT 2009

- Updated to match Tom's new Makefile.

Step-by-step method for how to use .POS files (overlay files) in
Xastir, for those of you who haven't been paying attention:

1) Bring the POS objects into Xastir by modifying the file slightly
    and replacing the ~/.xastir/config/object.log file.  Restart
    Xastir.  Once the objects appear properly in Xastir you'll know
    you have the correct format.  See earlier message for the tweaks
    needed to the format (21 May 2009, same thread topic).

2) cd xastir/src/shapelib
     make

3) Put dbfadd/dbfcreate/shpadd/shpcreate somewhere in your PATH or
    modify PATH to add this directory (but see #4 for an
    alternative).

4) Take the object.log file and run it through object2shp.pl.  See
    instructions at the top of the script.  You could tweak the
    script to add path to the executables created above so as an
    alternative to mucking with your PATH.

5) Rename your object.log file so Xastir won't load it upon startup.

6) Put the new map (maps?) into your map directory.

7) Reindex maps in Xastir (Map->Configure menu).

8) Select the new map in Map Chooser.

Note for Tom:  Can we automatically do the "make" in Xastir's "make"
or would that cause the conflict in the "make install" stage with
the same executables installed via another package?  If so, no
problem skipping it for now.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer