[Xastir] pos file

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri May 22 16:25:32 EDT 2009

On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 11:07:27AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:

> - Updated to match Tom's new Makefile.
>
> Step-by-step method for how to use .POS files (overlay files) in
> Xastir, for those of you who haven't been paying attention:

> 2) cd xastir/src/shapelib
>      make

Actually, let's be really explicit here, because this *might* not be correct,
especially for those that use out-of-source build directories as directed to
by several wiki pages.  If people aren't paying enough attention that they
need the step-by-step, let's put in all the steps.

  2)  cd /path/to/your/xastir/source/tree
      cvs update       #--- assuming you use CVS coz all the cool kids do
      ./bootstrap.sh   #---- important, because a Makefile.am changed
      cd /to/your/build/directory  #-- if you do this
      /path/to/your/xastir/source/tree/configure  #--- gotta do that to get the
                                                  #   shapelib Makefile updated
      cd src/shapelib
      make
      sudo make install     #---- this works whether or not you're building
                            #       xastir with external shapelib

This is consistent with the recommendations in at least some of the Wiki
installation notes (particularly the ones for Ubuntu), where the source tree
and build are in different directories.  Even if you're old-fashioned and
build in the source directory, the process is the same, just leave out the
"cd" with the "if you do this" comment.

HTH and happy hacking,
T.

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation