[Xastir] Mac OS X serial port woes

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Nov 9 14:01:09 EST 2009

On Sun, 8 Nov 2009, Jason KG4WSV wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 10:58 AM, Chip G. <n1mie at mac.com> wrote:
>
>> I've always had trouble with the Keyspan drivers unless I use one of the
>> "cu" variants.
>
> I had recalled someone having that trouble.  I failed to mention that
> I have tried both the tty and cu variants with the same results.

It may be that Xastir isn't a member of the owner/group that has
access to the device, or that permissions are not sufficient for the
user Xastir is running under.  The below should fix it, giving
Xastir "SUID root" privileges.  Xastir is smart enough to drop those
privileges when it doesn't need them, and reclaim them during the
short periods when it is messing with the ports:

     su root
     chmod 4755 /usr/local/bin/xastir