[Xastir] Xastir Map Chooser and wget

Jim Shorney jshorney at inebraska.com
Fri Nov 27 16:04:10 EST 2009

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 07:41:05 +1100, Ray Wells wrote:

>Debian's dependency checking should automatically selects everything
>that's needed for a package. When a package is selected with apt-get,
>any dependencies are listed and marked for installation.
>
>Have you tried using wget outside of xastir, i.e. stand-alone, to see if
>it works?

I had this problems just this week in Kubuntu 8.1. I found the answer here:

___

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xastir/+bug/293873

Binary package hint: xastir

Ubuntu 8.10
Xastir 1.9.2-2.1

Online map sources will not work.

Xastir complains about missing libcurl and or wget, and won't fetch maps from
online sources. Both libcurl and wget are installed.

Actual error text is "libcurl or 'wget' not installed. Can't download file"

Rebuilding from package source seems to fix problem.

<snip>

Richard Green  wrote on 2008-11-17:  	  #3

Found the problem. Ubuntu (and I'm told other Debian derivatives) installs
libgeotiff in a non-standard location, so when compiling under ubuntu, an
override is necessary at the './configure' step:

./configure CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include/geotiff"

Reference:
http://www.xastir.org/wiki/index.php/HowTo:Ubuntu_8.10

Secondly, since the 'make install' installs the binaries in a different
location than the ubuntu package, it was necessary to `rm -R ~/.xastir/` and
let xastir rebuild it on its first invocation.
___

I redid everything per the instructions at
http://www.xastir.org/wiki/index.php/HowTo:Ubuntu_8.10,and it all worked.

73

-Jim

--
Ham Radio NU0C
Lincoln, Nebraska, U.S.S.A.

"Give a man a URL, and he will learn for an hour; teach him to Google, and he will learn for a lifetime."