[Xastir] Xastir Map Chooser and wget

Michael Curry ki6tyv at arrl.net
Sat Nov 28 00:44:13 EST 2009

Jim Shorney wrote:

> I redid everything per the instructions at
> http://www.xastir.org/wiki/index.php/HowTo:Ubuntu_8.10, and it all worked.

Hmm... well. I first tried a straightforward build of the "first version of
xastir"
(as described on the indicated Ubuntu HowTo page) on my Debian system, but
the configure script barfed on a couple of dependencies (it didn't believe
that
libtiff was installed, and couldn't find the gdal-config script).

So I went to the HowTo page for Debian Squeeze (the "testing" version, more
recent than my stable 5.0.3 distro) and followed the instructions I found
there
for obtaining, building installing proj.4, libgeotiff and GDAL. (These
instructions
also include a section on fixing the bug in libgeotiff's configure script, a
cause
of the original, spurious error messages about libcurl and wget.)

After all that, xastir's configure script was much happier, and I
successfully
built and installed xastir-1.9.6 [*].

However, now when I run it, there are *no* maps other than worldhi.map
listed in
the Map Chooser, even though the entries in my ~/.xastir/config/xastir.conf
file
properly reference directories in /usr/local/share/xastir/ , and the same
.geo files
are present in /usr/local/share/xastir/maps as before:

% ls -R /usr/local/share/xastir/maps
GPS Online worldhi.map

/usr/local/share/xastir/maps/GPS:
placeholder

/usr/local/share/xastir/maps/Online:
CanadaTopo250k.geo terraserver-reflectivity.geo tigermap.geo WMSRadar.geo
CanadaTopo50k.geo terraserver-topo.geo TXRadar.geo
terraserver.geo terraserver-urban.geo USRadar.geo

(And yes, I do have "Expand Dirs" selected in the Map Chooser. :-)

[*]: Two "recommended options" that xastir's configure script set to "no"
were:

GraphicsMagick/ImageMagick (Raster Maps)
map caching (raster map speedups)

I think this *could* be because i wasn't able to install libmagickcore-dev
from
Debian's "lenny" (stable) package repository, and I haven't yet figured out
how to
persuade apt-get to obtain it from the "squeeze" (testing) package
repository.

==> How likely is it that absence of the ImageMagick feature would prevent
xastir
from seeing (or honoring) the .geo files in the maps/ directory?

Thanks for the help so far!

73,

Michael Curry, KI6TYV