[Xastir] Xastir Map Chooser and wget

Michael Curry ki6tyv at arrl.net
Sat Nov 28 13:47:45 EST 2009

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 7:46 AM, Lee Bengston <lee.bengston at gmail.com>wrote:

> Yes, the imagemagick development package in Lenny would most likely be
> named libmagick9-dev

Yes...

For
> map caching, you need the Berkely development package.  The one
> applicable to Ubuntu 8.10 was libdb4.7-dev.  Just to be sure, I would
> also do a Synpatic search for "libdb" and pick the most recent dev
> package (it might be version 4.6 or 4.8 for Lenny - not sure).

... and yes! The correct package name in Lenny turned out to be simply
libdb-dev, which includes version 4.7.25.2.

> Finally after installing the above, delete your hidden .xastir
> directory under your home and then re-compile Xastir.  That should
> hopefully fix your map issue.

Yes, the Map Chooser now shows the .geo files in the maps/ directory, and
allows me to select and display them.

Strangely, the station placements are inaccurate on the terraserver maps --
off by about 10 km, and placing my home station, among others, in San
Francisco Bay! -- but everything looks fine on the tigermap, which in any
case is more useful to me because it shows the road net. Looking forward to
exploring some of the other map options.

This could be a topic for another post, but is there a way to configure the
foreground and background colors for station labels, weather data, etc., on
the map display? The minimal contrast between the default colors makes them
a bit difficult to read.

Thanks for all the guidance!

Michael Curry, KI6TYV