[Xastir] Loading Maps on Xubuntu - Xastir-Hardy_090307

Peter Mallett zl2bau at xtra.co.nz
Wed Oct 7 02:26:04 EDT 2009

Nick wrote:
> I am attempting to install the maps for Washington and Oregon in
> Xubuntu and I can't copy them into the map folder because the
> permissions are not correct to allow read/write access.
>
> The owner is root
>
> Anyone know the password? Yea I tried root
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nick
>
> N9SUB

Hi Nick,

             I think Ubuntu and Xubuntu are probally the same so try
this, go to System > Administration and choose Login Window, you will be
asked for your user password, then when the login preferences box
appears, go to the Security tab.

About half way down you will see a box, Allow local system administrator
login, tick that box and then close the preferences box.

Then go to System > Administration and choose, Users and Groups, click
on root and go to properties, half way down the box you will see, set
password by hand, enter a root password and click ok after you have
entered the password twice, then close.

You should now be able to log out as User and then login as root giving
your password you have just set.

Hopefully if Xubuntu and Ubuntu are the same in this area, you should
now have root access with the GUI.

Regards ..... Peter