[Xastir] Loading Maps on Xubuntu - Xastir-Hardy_090307

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Oct 7 10:34:53 EDT 2009

On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 09:22:35PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <nwsnowboarder at verizon.net> flavor, containing:
> I appreciate the extremely fast response, but I am not quite that technical.
>
> My understanding is there is no way to turn off that permission within
> the GUI.  Is there a way within the shell?  I have 19GB of maps to copy
> into the map folder, doing it one file at a time, would onerous.   I am
> trying to find the simplest way to do it.

>From a shell:

 cd into directory containing maps
 sudo cp * /usr/local/share/xastir/maps

If the directory containing maps contains subdirectories:

 cd into directory containing maps
 sudo cp -r * /usr/local/share/xastir/maps

The -r copies files and subdirectories (it stands for "recursive").

> Tom Russo wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 08:55:39PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <nwsnowboarder at verizon.net> flavor, containing:
> >
> >> I am attempting to install the maps for Washington and Oregon in Xubuntu
> >> and I can't copy them into the map folder because the permissions are
> >> not correct to allow read/write access.
> >>
> >> The owner is root
> >>
> >> Anyone know the password? Yea I tried root
> >>

> > Login to the root account is typically disabled on ubuntu systems.  All
> > the stuff you'd do by "su root" or logging in as root is instead done with
> > "sudo" (e.g. "sudo cp file1.shp /usr/local/share/xastir/maps/junk/").
> >
> > The Xastir-Hardy virtual machine is set up that way, with the "xubuntu" user
> > as one of the allowed "sudoers."
> >
> > Sudo prompts you for a password.  The password is the one for the xubuntu
> > account.
> >
> > See "man sudo" for details.

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation