[Xastir] DRG's not cropping white space

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Oct 8 18:21:47 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 02:17:40PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:
> On Thu, 8 Oct 2009, Nick wrote:
>
> > With my luck and compiling, is there a newer version for download that I can
> > pluck into VMware?  I'll have to check when I get home.
>
> Someone else would have to answer that as I run native Linux, no
> VM's.

I believe that the most recent VM indeed has libgeotiff built against
proj.4 and does not use the versions of libgeotiff or proj.4 from the
Ubuntu repositories (because proj.4 is built incorrectly by the packager
of the Ubuntu version).  But I can't verify that at the moment because
I have no access to VMware until late tonight -- and I'll be busy getting
ready for a climbing vacation, not tinkering with software.  Perhaps Lee can
check?  He bundled at least one of the most recent Xastir-Hardy VMs, and I
believe he did the current one.

You can check yourself: look to see if proj.4 and libgeotiff are in
/usr/local/lib or /usr/lib.  If /usr/local/lib, they were built from source,
not the repository.

It's possible that they were installed wrong (libgeotiff before proj.4, for
example).  If that's the case it's a simple matter to fix, and it would be
worthwhile to release an updated VM (the currently available VM is getting
long in the tooth, and a few weeks ago I'd even started to do the work of
updating it with the hundreds of Ubuntu updates it needs, but got too busy to
finish the project).

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation