[Xastir] APRS in Southern California

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Oct 9 12:41:41 EDT 2009

On Fri, 9 Oct 2009, Tom, ve7did wrote:

> I was recently in the Murietta/Temecula areas and was not able to get any
> data out  to the APRS system.

> I did talk to one of the operators down there and he says nothing
> is different from the other parts of the country, but there must be something
> different.   As soon as I left the area to return, everything started
> tracking again.  Nothing was done to my equipment.

Perhaps they're running with no FM pre-emphasis there, as in
D700/D710 digi's, while you're using the MIC/SPKR connections to an
FM rig (the most common setup for APRS on 1200 baud) and therefore
using pre-emphasis?  Pre-emphasis differences, too much twist, or
too much/little deviation are about all I can think of.

If the stations you saw down there were all running D7/D700/D710's,
the pre-emphasis idea might fit.