[Xastir] Ubuntu 9.04 instructions updated on wiki (proj.4 issue)

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Oct 12 11:06:12 EDT 2009

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009, Tom Russo wrote:

> Note that with proj.4 improperly installed, the results of gdalwarp on
> any raster in NAD27 will be incorrect when warping to NAD83, and the results
> of coordinate conversions from "cs2cs" will be incorrect if one translates
> between NAD27 and NAD83.  As I've pointed out before, Xastir doesn't care,
> because it doesn't use proj.4 for this purpose.

Xastir users should care about this:

If you ever in the future use GRASS, QGIS, or some other GIS program
which might use the Proj.4 library, results from datum conversions
might be off by 10's or 100's of meters and you wouldn't know it.
It's better to do the install correctly now to avoid possible
problems in the future, especially because it's simple to do.