[Xastir] Ubuntu 9.04 instructions updated on wiki (proj.4 issue)

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Oct 12 10:05:12 EDT 2009

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 06:26:02AM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <kevin at kevinratcliff.com> flavor, containing:
> All,
>
> I just finished updating the Ubuntu 9.04 instructions on the wiki to
> include compiling proj.4 and libgeotiff from source instead of using
> the binaries. If you weren't following the other thread about this,
> Tom Russo pointed out recently (and a few months ago) that
> Ubuntu/Debian variants have an incorrectly built proj.4 in the
> repositories. I finally got motivated to update the wiki entry.
>
> Note that I did not cover removing the binary of proj.4 and
> libgeotiff, just installing on a fresh system. If someone else would
> like to tackle that feel free though. Also, any corrections to the
> wiki entry would be appreciated. I tried to make sure it works, but I
> could have easily made mistakes. I won't be offended if you find a
> better way of doing things and change the wiki entry.

Unfortunately, the process you provided will yield a proj.4 that is as
broken as the one the Ubuntu repository has.  You forgot to install the
NAD27/NAD83 interpolation grids.

I have updated the wiki to give the correct process with the additinal
tarball needed.  I also added a comment on why this is necessary.

Note that with proj.4 improperly installed, the results of gdalwarp on
any raster in NAD27 will be incorrect when warping to NAD83, and the results
of coordinate conversions from "cs2cs" will be incorrect if one translates
between NAD27 and NAD83.  As I've pointed out before, Xastir doesn't care,
because it doesn't use proj.4 for this purpose.

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation