[Xastir] Debian Squeeze Make issues

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 00:13:57 EDT 2009

On 10/19/09, James Cameron <vk2lqz at wia.org.au> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 03:47:07PM +1030, Tony Hunt wrote:
>> Anyway, as the subject infers, I am currently trying to compile
>> Xastir-1.9.6 with Debian Squeeze.
>> I have had problems with tiff development files.  I get the following
>> errors when running make:
>>
>> map_tif.c:88:21: error: xtiffio.h: No such file or directory
>> map_tif.c:91:27: error: geo_normalize.h: No such file or directory
>
> I got this today with 1.9.4.  It is normal.  Debian and Ubuntu packages
> work around this problem by configuring the source in a special way.
> Read debian/rules after "apt-get source xastir" to see this:
>
> build:
> 	CFLAGS=-I/usr/include/geotiff ./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc
> --mandir=/usr/share/man
>
> After I configured in that fashion, the errors went away.
>
> I don't know why the default configure doesn't pick it up.

That problem has been brought up previously with Ubuntu.  Installing
libgeotiff from source instead of the repositories is another way
around it.  That's what is documented in the HowTo's for Ubuntu.  A
standard configure works when the binary geotiff package is avoided.

Regards,

Lee - K5DAT
Murphy, TX