[Xastir] problem adding maps

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Oct 28 12:48:01 EDT 2009

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009, Geoff Wrightson wrote:

> Hi am setting up xastir for the fiirst time but cannot load maps for
> Australia  the hi res map displays and xastir tracks stations but added
> maps just show as blacked out regions,

You didn't mention which sorts of maps are showing up as black
regions.  I'll assume that they are raster instead of vector 'cuz
we've seen this sort of problem before.

You didn't tell us whether you're using GraphicsMagick or
ImageMagick, but I'm going to make a guess that it's GraphicsMagick.

You also did not specify your OS or OS version, perhaps Linux?  OSX?

Anyway, try removing GraphicsMagick packages and installing
ImageMagick.  Most likely the problem is that the wrong "configure"
switches were done during the GM compile when somebody made the
package, so the easiest fix for you would be to swap it for IM at
this point.  If you don't have that option, then you can install GM
from sources instead and supply the correct command-line invocation
to configure to get a working version.  I can supply you with the
correct switch if you go down that road.  That switch is also used
in the LSB-BUILD-GRAPHICSMAGICK script distributed with Xastir.
It's the one having to do with "quantum depth".