[Xastir] problem adding maps

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Sat Oct 31 17:57:35 EDT 2009

Curt, WE7U wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Oct 2009, Geoff Wrightson wrote:
>
>> Hi am setting up xastir for the fiirst time but cannot load maps for
>> Australia  the hi res map displays and xastir tracks stations but added
>> maps just show as blacked out regions,
>
> You didn't mention which sorts of maps are showing up as black
> regions.  I'll assume that they are raster instead of vector 'cuz
> we've seen this sort of problem before.
>
> You didn't tell us whether you're using GraphicsMagick or
> ImageMagick, but I'm going to make a guess that it's GraphicsMagick.
>
> You also did not specify your OS or OS version, perhaps Linux?  OSX?
>
> Anyway, try removing GraphicsMagick packages and installing
> ImageMagick.  Most likely the problem is that the wrong "configure"
> switches were done during the GM compile when somebody made the
> package, so the easiest fix for you would be to swap it for IM at
> this point.  If you don't have that option, then you can install GM
> from sources instead and supply the correct command-line invocation
> to configure to get a working version.  I can supply you with the
> correct switch if you go down that road.  That switch is also used
> in the LSB-BUILD-GRAPHICSMAGICK script distributed with Xastir.
> It's the one having to do with "quantum depth".

Curt,

I picked this one up with private communication with Geoff.

He's using Ubuntu 9.04 64 bit and has installed from the deb package.
The problem is with raster maps. Geoff is also new to Linux.

I have Kubuntu 9.04 installed on a 32 bit machine so I installed xastir
from the deb package, only to be greeted with the same black tiles that
Geoff is seeing.

According to the Ubuntu repository, xastir is dependent on
libgraphicsmagick 1. Attempts to remove this and install Imagemagick
breaks the package, as one would expect.

Is there anyone on this list who has been able to work around this problem?

If all else fails I can offer to help Geoff install the necessary tools
to compile from sources, but given his newness to Linux he may be
reluctant to tread that path.

Ray vk2tv