[Xastir] Xastir for MacOS X Binary

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Thu Oct 29 01:54:06 EDT 2009

Because of some problems folks were having with running this on
Leopard instead of Snow Leopard, I have compiled up a new version of
this distribution, and it's available at the same web page:  http://www.nh6z.net/xastir
.  I have no clue whether this will work on Tiger, as I don't have a
box to test it on.  Again, this will not work on non-Intel macs for
sure, because I haven't built this stuff as fat binaries.  It is
compiled as a 32- bit application though, so it will work on the older
Core Duo and Core Solo boxes that aren't 64 bit.

I've also made a few changes.

1)  I figured out why map caching wasn't being enabled (lack of
Berkeley DB), so I enabled it and included Berkeley DB as an internal
framework in the app bundle.

2)  I updated to the latest version 1.9.7 out of the CVS repository.
It should be fresh code as of today.

I also wanted to remind people with this distribution that the share
directory is *inside* the application bundle.  So, if you want to add
maps, they need to go in there.  You can either do it by the command
line, and it will be inside the Resources directory, or you can right
click the bundle and choose "Show Package Contents".  You'll get a
finder window that you can then navigate to Contents->Resources->share-
 >xastir.  You'll find your maps directory and such in there.

Thanks for everyone's commentary and suggestions.  They've for sure
helped show me where things needed to be improved.  If folks are truly
interested, I'm happy to write up some notes on how this is done and
post them up somewhere.

--
Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems