[Xastir] Black online maps

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Sep 1 22:20:26 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 01, 2009 at 04:10:33PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <tom at tomh.us> flavor, containing:
> > Tom, I recall a cause of this was that the gifs in ~/.xastir/map_cache
> > actually contained HTML errors from a failed fetch.  Have you checked
> > that the gif files are actually gif files, using the file command or an
> > image viewer?
>
> Yes, the cached gifs look good in an image viewer. Map download and
> caching seems to be working fine, but Xastir displays them black.

I believe the issue is related to QuantumDepth being set to 8 in the build
of GraphicsMagick/ImageMagick.  If that's correct, the only solution is to build
that package from source and force QuantumDepth to 16 at configure time.

The better solution is to figure out why Xastir does the wrong thing with
QuantumDept=8, but nobody's done this.  The best solution would be to figure
out how to use all those raster types without *Magick at all, since that has
become a thorn in the side of Xastir over the years.

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation