[Xastir] Black online maps

James Cameron VK2LQZ vk2lqz at wia.org.au
Tue Sep 1 23:15:32 EDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 01, 2009 at 08:20:26PM -0600, Tom Russo wrote:
> I believe the issue is related to QuantumDepth being set to 8 in the
> build of GraphicsMagick/ImageMagick.

I confirm that on Ubuntu Jaunty package graphicsmagick-1.1.11 and Debian
Squeeze package graphicsmagick-1.3.5 the default is 8.  On Ubuntu Jaunty
after installation the header files certainly show 8 was used:

/usr/include/GraphicsMagick/magick/magick_config.h

#define QuantumDepth 8

> If that's correct, the only solution is to build that package from
> source and force QuantumDepth to 16 at configure time.

That's the GraphicsMagick package, I see.  There is a risk that this may
break any other packages dependent on the use of 8-bit depth.  ;-)

> The better solution is to figure out why Xastir does the wrong thing
> with QuantumDept=8, but nobody's done this.

Looking at the code in map_geo.c that handles the different QuantumDepth
values, it isn't clear why it is coded to do what it does.  (I wish I
could reproduce the original poster's problem so that I can try testing
this bit of code ... is there a simple way?).

> The best solution would be to figure out how to use all those raster
> types without *Magick at all, since that has become a thorn in the
> side of Xastir over the years.

Yes.  I must admit I prefer Imlib2 at this point in the software stack.
You just give it a file, it figures out how to render it on the X
display in the Drawable you specify.  I've been using it in the Netrek
client on Linux for drawing map objects.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/