[Xastir] Gating APRS messages for local stations to RF

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Sep 8 19:37:44 EDT 2009

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009, Julian Moss wrote:

> I have Xastir set up and working fine except that APRS messages
> received from the internet (as distinct from sent using Xastir) and
> addressed to my VX-8E which has the call G4ILO-7 are not transmitted
> over RF.
>
> I have enabled Allow Transmitting in the Internet Server properties
> and in the AX25 TNC properties, where I have also selected Allow
> RF->Inet and Inet->RF. I have selected the latter in Configure
> Defaults as well.

That should be all you need.

> In .xastir/data I have created a file nws-stations.txt which contains
> one line that says G4ILO-7.

You don't need to do that.

> I am testing by sending a message to G4ILO-7 using the entermsg.cgi at
> findu.com. The message is not even received by Xastir unless the HT
> has sent a position beacon recently. I guess that is correct.

Are you connected to a filtered port on the INET by chance?  You
might check your filtering options to see if you've filtered out the
messages/ack's you're seeking.

> Ideally, I would like messages sent to any station that has been heard
> by my gateway to be sent to RF, without needing the calls to be
> entered in a file first.

That's how igating in Xastir works, assuming that the master switch
in Configure->Defaults is set up to allow it, and the switch on the
particular interfaces of interest are also set appropriately.

Xastir will send messages/ack's/nak's to RF if the station has been
heard on local RF in the last hour.  If it hasn't, it won't send
them to RF.  I believe all igate software works in a similar manner.

There's a possibility that Xastir is getting confused about the
station and thinking it's on INET instead of local RF, in which case
it won't gate the data to RF.