[Xastir] Gating APRS messages for local stations to RF

Julian Moss julian.g4ilo at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 04:01:17 EDT 2009

On 09/09/2009, Curt, WE7U <archer at eskimo.com> wrote:

>> In .xastir/data I have created a file nws-stations.txt which contains
>> one line that says G4ILO-7.
>
> You don't need to do that.

I thought not, but before I added that line I could see that messages
were being received by xastir but not sent to RF. After I added it, if
I received the messages they were transmitted.

> Are you connected to a filtered port on the INET by chance?  You
> might check your filtering options to see if you've filtered out the
> messages/ack's you're seeking.

Yes, I am connected to a UK feed, in an addition I am using a filter
something like m/15 so I only receive data for stations in my local
area. But the filter did not change and sometimes I received the
messages and sometimes I didn't.

>> Ideally, I would like messages sent to any station that has been heard
>> by my gateway to be sent to RF, without needing the calls to be
>> entered in a file first.
>
> That's how igating in Xastir works, assuming that the master switch
> in Configure->Defaults is set up to allow it, and the switch on the
> particular interfaces of interest are also set appropriately.
>
> Xastir will send messages/ack's/nak's to RF if the station has been
> heard on local RF in the last hour.  If it hasn't, it won't send
> them to RF.  I believe all igate software works in a similar manner.

That's what I thought. However it doesn't appear to work like that.
And I had exactly the same trouble (some messages not getting to me at
all, messages for G4ILO-7 not being sent to RF unless I specifically
added that call to a list) with UI-View32.

Is there some other factor that could be causing this, such as the
hop-count expiring? Perhaps I should try connecting to a different
server than ahubswe.net.
--
Julian, G4ILO
G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com