[Xastir] version 1.9.4 on Ubuntu Mint

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 12:11:33 EDT 2009

On 9/21/09, ml41782 <ml41782 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Its working now.
> I have come to the conclusion of never trust Linux to stay static.
> reguardless of the flavor. Redhat, debian, Ubuntu and a couple of others. I
> have seen them all revert to a dhcp address even though they have a static
> IP assigned to them.

I assume you are talking about wireless?  Linux is kind of famous for
server functionality, and my guess is that static addresses are very
common in server applications and work reliably.

I only have one Linux box at home using a static address - it's
running VectorLinux and using a wireless PCI card.  I used the vlwifi
tool, and it's never reverted to DHCP in about 20 months of operation.
 I think what you are seeing is a symptom of the Gnome and KDE network
managers.  In Ubuntu, I install wicd from the repository, which
uninstalls the default network manager.  I mainly install it in order
to avoid the kde wallet and default keyring prompts, but I wouldn't be
surprised if it handles static addresses better as well.  Given it is
available in the repo, it's an easy thing to try.

Lee - K5DAT
Murphy, TX