[Xastir] Xastir as a igate?

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Sat Sep 26 23:20:16 EDT 2009

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009, Jacob Tennant wrote:

> I have got my xastir setup running on a old laptop under Fedora11 but was
> wondering how this is going to work when I go to connect the TNC as the
> laptop only has USB ports. I have a USB to serial adapter I got from MFJ for
> use on a soundcard interface but never have tried to use it under Fedora11
> linux.

FWIW:  I'm running this station with a USB->Serial cable hooked to a
TNC-X and it just runs and runs.  In my case it shows up as
/dev/ttyUSB0 or /dev/ttyUSB1.  Sometimes the number will switch from
one to the other on a reboot if I have other USB devices plugged in.

> Like I said in the subject line I am going to set this laptop up as a
> unattended igate system in my workshop with a old radio and MFJ-1270C TNC
> soas to serve my area as well as get more activity going again.

Set up the 1270 in KISS mode and use either AX.25 networking or
Serial KISS TNC interface from Xastir to talk to it.  It'll be more
dependable than TNC command-mode in the long run.

> PS: How can I tell xastir to pass NWS laerts from the internet stream as I am
> using the user defined server ports so as to not overload the laptops cpu.

Two things:  Set up the internet stream filtering to pass the ones
of interest to  you.  Set up the nws-stations.txt file in
~/.xastir/data/ directory so that Xastir knows what "callsigns" you
want passed to RF.