[Xastir] UK govt licences map data - any use in Xastir?

Andrew Errington a.errington at lancaster.ac.uk
Sun Apr 4 21:11:24 EDT 2010

On Mon, April 5, 2010 08:23, Dave H wrote:
> Thanks Andrew
> I'm a little confused how to use the shape files you mentioned, having
> downloaded them, I haven't have much time sorting out how, but the quick
> read I had was a need to create a DBFAWK file, then I got lost..

Um, I'm a little confused too.  I was talking about OSM, but the original
poster was talking about Ordnance Survey (OS).

> I think if we can sort using OSM and/or OS map data in xastir then when
> we try and get UK folk to use xastir, there will be much more chance
> getting beyond a demo and the "uiview maps are better"  - that was an
> often unimpressed reaction we got over the many years our Linux User Group
> has demo'd Linux, xastir etc at a local hamfest.

Absolutely.  Xastir can show any map, but they are all crap, and hard to
find.  OSM is collecting map data from around the world, including the UK.
 The recent release of OS data will either improve OSM immensely, if OSM
is permitted to derive data from it, or it will cause OSM development in
UK to cease, since the OS data is likely to be more comprehensive.  I hope
for the former.  Personally I think OSM is worth focusing on (for Xastir
and in general) because any work done to improve OSM will improve it for
everyone around the world.  Any work focusing on OS will be nice for
people in UK, but not all Xastir users are interested solely in UK maps.

> Even if its a 'download these files' then run this script against them -
> I'm
> sure the UK could begin to catch up on the quality and quantity the US has
>  with mapping.

I imagine such a thing should be possible.  Here's a start:

http://blogs.sun.com/magne/entry/a_first_cut_at_using

Interestingly, this exact same topic came up nearly 3 years ago.  At the
time OSM was pooh-poohed, which surprised me.  I would have thought that
Xastir would be all over it since it would mean we a single source for map
data for anywhere in the world.

I am currently not able to participate in APRS activities, but later, when
I can, my plan is to fix Xastir + OSM for the win.  I don't mind at all
if, in the meantime, someone else steps in and does it for me.

73,

Andrew