[Xastir] How do I use a Tiny Trak 4 (TT4) with Xastir?

Norman Heyen n.heyen at comcast.net
Fri Apr 23 18:41:19 EDT 2010

Hi folks,

I have a Byonics Tiny Trak 4 (TT4) loaded with Alpha 0.61 firmware. It is
connected with a Byonics cable to an Icom V8000 radio and an older PC
running Ubuntu 9.10. The PC had a hardware serial com port (actually 2, COM1
and COM2). I have Xastir 1.9.8 complied and running.

I played with RXAMP settings and MONITOR. When idle, I see MONITOR values of
about 2; when see what I suspect is a local APRS signal (the bar graph on
the V8000 goes across the screen and no transmit LED on the TT4), MONITOR
shows about 79.

When I go to CALIBRATE and listen on the D7, I hear clear low and high tones
and a mix when I use the L, H, B and S keys. I have no idea what the TWIST
settings are for or what to do with them.

Are these more or less indicating the signals are about right?

If so, what Interface should I be using? Currently I'm loading the
Serial-TNC since this is a base fill-in station with no GPS attached.

Is that correct?

If so, what start and stop files should I use or what changes to I need to
make to the default STARTUP-TNC.sys and STOP-TNC.sys files?

The station is KC9NVN. When I look in FindU, I don't see any raw packets
coming across.

When I take a walk around the neighborhood with my D7 (KC9NVN-7), I am not
seen by KC9NVN even though I'm seldom more than a few hundred feet away so I
don't think the station is correct.

To be honest, this has been incredibly frustrating and I'm about ready to
pull the plug on the whole idea. If some one can show me where I've gone
wrong, I really would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Norman