[Xastir] Anyone use TT4 with Xastir

n.heyen at comcast.net n.heyen at comcast.net
Wed Apr 28 11:11:03 EDT 2010

Hi folks,

I've been trying to setup a fill-in digi / igate with Xastir 1.9.8, an Icom V8000, a Byonics TT4 and running under Ubuntu 9.10. What I am trying to do is add an igate to the local APRS network and be able to track my D7 via RF locally.

I've been working to get this running for a couple of weeks and have got close but not quite.

So I'm turning to the experts for advice.

    1. Should I use the Alpha or KISS firmware?

        • I've got the Alpha firmware loaded and have been trying to get the correct RXAMP and other multitude of settings changed
    2.
Which interfaces need to be used so I can gate internet traffic and act as a fill-in?

        • I'm runnign the internet and KISS
    3.
Are there special settings that need to be used or changed in files

        • Do I need to use the Serial TNC interface and use or modify the start and / or stop files?
    4.
Which path(s) should I use?

        • I've got WIDE2-2 for the RF and WIDE2-1 for the RF->Internet
        • Where all do these need to be set? In Xastir and in the TT4 firmware or anywhere else?

Where I'm at is I think I'm gating traffic from other stations but I cannot see my D7 locally or any other station RF station. I can be seen as KC9NVN on aprs.fi and others. When I look at the station info in aprs.fi, I haven't been seen on the radio for a few days but when I look at the "show graphs" I can see that I'm passing at least a few packets from RF to APRS-IS and there is some RF traffic being heard by KC9NVN. There are only a bit of RF traffic seen.

When I look at the incoming data in Xastir, I see NET traffic but no (or very little) TNC traffic and I can't see KC9NVN on my D7's list screen.

I'm certainly not an expert, in fact pretty close to a newbie, so my notions of how APRS really works is probably not right. But it seems that no matter what, I've either got a setting in Xastir wrong or the TT4 is wrong.

Anyone willing to point my in the proper direction?

Thanks!

Norman

KC9NVN