[Xastir] County Borders

Keith Kaiser wa0tjt at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 10:38:26 EDT 2010

In my maps folder, I have broken out 19 counties and put them in a HOAC folder. These are all the latest 2008 Tiger maps, each county is named like "29165_Platte_County" and so forth. Inside each county folder are a number of other folders with names like "tl_2008_29165_edges Folder", inside this folder are 5 more files all with "edges" in their names. So the hierarchy looks like this:

... --> xastir --> maps --> HOAC --> 29165_Platte_County --> tl_2008_29165_edges Folder --> tl_2008_29165_edges.dbf

My first question;
Is this as good a way as any to set this up? In the maps folder I have actually named the HOAC folder with 2 or 3 spaces at the beginning of the name so it would show up in the map chooser closer to the top.

Second question;
I would like each of these counties to be outlined with dark blue and the border made wider, how do I do that? In my 'States Outlines' folder I have a file named "statesp020_link.dbfawk" which I was able to make do this for state outlines. But without a dbfawk file for the counties how do I do it?

Typically I use this set of maps at a zoom level of about 1000, so detail is not real critical but I would like major roads and rivers maybe.

Third question;
Has anyone already done this with county outlines?

Thanks in advance for any help