[Xastir] Help on error msg...

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 23:31:12 EDT 2010

On Sun, 1 Aug 2010, Tom Russo wrote:

> But the patch you made will only work on the systems that put libgeotiff
> headers into a "libgeotiff" subdirectory --- not at all a universal thing,
> and not what Ubuntu does (they put it in "geotiff").

So I just read in another message.

> the possible variations one would have to add lots more.  Start down this
> path, and the configure script will be even more of a mess than it already
> is.

Rgr.

> It is a bad approach to start peppering configure.ac with system-specific
> hacks like this, because it will quickly become unmaintainable.  It is much
> better to add the CPPFLAGS setting at configure time and to update documentation
> instead.

I was assuming that this was a libgeotiff default install location
now rather than a system-specific location.  I'll go check to see
what they do.  My thoughts are that if the package installs by
default into a subdirectory of /usr/include/, then we should support
that default location.  If it happens to match one of the systems
that our users often use, we just simplified it for at least some of
the users.

> it is important to remember that configure
> was NOT designed to go out hunting for all possible permutations of file
> locations.  Passing the CPPFLAGS deal in is the standard and maintainable way
> of telling configure it's dealing with something non-standard.

Agree.  I'll investigate further and then either tweak configure for
the current default libgeotiff location, or remove my change if
libgeotiff still installs into /usr/include/ by default.