[Xastir] Help on error msg...

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Aug 1 23:41:43 EDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 01, 2010 at 08:31:12PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <curt.we7u at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> On Sun, 1 Aug 2010, Tom Russo wrote:
> > It is a bad approach to start peppering configure.ac with system-specific
> > hacks like this, because it will quickly become unmaintainable.  It is much
> > better to add the CPPFLAGS setting at configure time and to update documentation
> > instead.
>
> I was assuming that this was a libgeotiff default install location
> now rather than a system-specific location.  I'll go check to see
> what they do.  My thoughts are that if the package installs by
> default into a subdirectory of /usr/include/, then we should support
> that default location.  If it happens to match one of the systems
> that our users often use, we just simplified it for at least some of
> the users.

No, libgeotiff (right up to the current 1.3.0 release candidate) uses standard
autoconf, and therefore its standard install location is
/usr/local/{include,bin,share}.

Package maintainers for linux always change the install directory with
--prefix-/usr to override the default --prefix=/usr/local.  Apparently the new
trend is to further stuff headers for dev-packages into subdirectories
(presumably to satisfy some other goal, maybe to keep differing packages from
potentially clobbering each other).  But this is 100% a package-maintainer
thing that has nothing to do with what libgeotiff's makefiles would have done.

 "The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off."