[Xastir] Help on error msg...

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Aug 2 00:20:17 EDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 01, 2010 at 09:12:41PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <curt.we7u at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> On Sun, 1 Aug 2010, Tom Russo wrote:
>
> > No, libgeotiff (right up to the current 1.3.0 release candidate) uses standard
> > autoconf, and therefore its standard install location is
> > /usr/local/{include,bin,share}.
> >
> > Package maintainers for linux always change the install directory with
> > --prefix-/usr to override the default --prefix=/usr/local.  Apparently the new
> > trend is to further stuff headers for dev-packages into subdirectories
> > (presumably to satisfy some other goal, maybe to keep differing packages from
> > potentially clobbering each other).  But this is 100% a package-maintainer
> > thing that has nothing to do with what libgeotiff's makefiles would have done.
>
> Verified.  Change backed out.  This is getting annoying to me that
> the Linux package maintainers are not only diverging from accepted
> practices but also diverging in different directions.

Yes, it is annoying.  It's like the 80's again --- back when we had to
edit Makefile's by hand every time we ported a code from system to system.
As a BSD nerd, I'm even annoyed by the Linux convention of putting prepacked,
but third-party, stuff into /usr instead of /usr/local, but there you have it.

At least configure gives a straightforward technique for dealing with it.

 "The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off."