[Xastir] gating uploads to aprs-is

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 15:51:28 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2 Aug 2010, Michael Pechner wrote:

> Is there a way to only send packets heard from a station only once every N
> seconds? every 30-60?

Xastir doesn't have any such capability.  It sends what it hears.

> We generate
> APRS packets every 3 to15 seconds.  We run the experiment 2 to 6 times
> during a 8 hour period. It lasts  about an hour each time.

> So unless the aprs-is guys don't mind this data overload 4-6 times a year,
> I'd like to gate the data uploaded.

I think the APRS-IS infrastructure will limit you to one packet
every 30 seconds anyway.  Maybe that's just one packet per 30
seconds with the same INFO field?

You might consider having Xastir do a snapshot every XX minutes and
making that snapshot available on the internet.  I've done that
before and it works fine.  That's assuming the people out on the
internet will be happy w/o a live APRS feed into their own
particular APRS package, which they may not be.

Another possibility would be to feed it to an alternative APRS
network, like Firenet.  I'm a member of Firenet but can't speak for
them as to whether or not this is a good use.  I don't know whether
sites like findu.com and aprs.fi pull data from Firenet either, but
I think not.