[Xastir] Installing Xastir 1.9.9 on Ubuntu

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Aug 2 16:05:54 EDT 2010

On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 03:52:07PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <kc4lzn at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> On 08/02/2010 03:44 PM, Curt, WE7U wrote:
> > On Mon, 2 Aug 2010, John Wilson wrote:
> >
> >> This is what I got after I got past the motif error./
> >>
> >> xastir 1.9.8 has been configured to use the following
> >> options and external libraries:
> >
> > 1.9.8?  You've either got the wrong version or you need to run
> > ./bootstrap.sh first to re-create the configure script from scratch.
> > Of course bootstrap.sh requires some other tools you might not have
> > installed yet (autoconf/automake).
> >
> > If you snagged CVS sources, then run bootstrap.sh.  If you snaged
> > the stable release, go back and snag the development release done
> > yesterday (Aug 1st release).
> >
> > You won't have OpenStreetMap support with anything less.
> >
> I followed these instructions on the CVS Update portion of the site:
>
> /Here are the commands to do if you want a clean build of the latest
> sources, and want configure to recheck all the libraries and header
> files that Xastir needs: /

This is not the text in the "Updating Xastir" section of the Ubuntu 10.04
document (http://www.xastir.org/wiki/HowTo:Ubuntu_10.04).  Which wiki page are
you reading (post the URL)? That could be where you're going wrong.

> /         cd xastir
>          cvs update (snag all the latest changes)
>          ./bootstrap.sh/
>          ./configure

Did you first follow all the steps in

 Get XASTIR source code From the "bleeding edge" CVS repository

exactly to populate the xastir directory with the files?  Because those steps
should have given you 1.9.9.  If you followed some different procedure (as, for
example, adding a "-r" and a release tag to the checkout line, then you won't
get the bleeding edge, which is what you need for OSM.

I just finished going through the entire 10.04 wiki page on a newly-built
Ubuntu 10.04 machine (I had coincidentally repurposed an old Losedows machine
just this week for another project), and by following the page precisely, I
got a fully-enabled Xastir (skipping GDAL), and it was 1.9.9.  So what you
really need is to go to the right Wiki page
(http://www.xastir.org/wiki/HowTo:Ubuntu_10.04) and make sure you're following
*all* the steps from the beginning.

I would suggest deleting whatever Xastir source tree you have and starting
over at the "Get XASTIR  source code From the "bleeding edge" CVS repository"
section of the Wiki notes.

 "The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off."