[Xastir] Is there any one version of Linux better than another for xastir ?

Jerry Dunmire jerry at dunmire.org
Thu Aug 5 15:59:13 EDT 2010

I've used Ubuntu exclusively since 6.06. I upgraded to 10.04 in May
and things are working for me:
xastir (now built from source, but originally from Ubuntu .deb)
soundmodem (built from source)
ax25
linpac
fldigi

I am using audio connections to a 2m HT and to my HF rig and a serial
connection to a MFJ TNC (maybe a 1240, certainly old).

I tried the xastir kiss interface to the TNC once, long ago and
dropped it after I learned that xastir could work with the TNC without
kiss. The main reason I dropped kiss to the TNC is that I could never
remember how to get out if it :-)

I have used both a direct connection from xastir to soundmodem and the
kernel ax25 interface, though I am using the direct TNC connection at
this point.

I am running ham apps on on both a Dell desktop and a D600 laptop.

My biggest problem these days is the sound interface, alsa, pulse,
jack, and the others that seem to come up. I'm pretty happy with the
default Ubuntu choice in 10.04 (pulse), particularly after I installed
some of the pulse tools.

One other note, a friend in the neighborhood has a preference for
Centos, but he has been having a bear of a time getting the ham apps
to work. Last we talked he was considering Ubuntu again, even though
he dislikes the GUI admin interfaces. He is quite an expert at Centos,
so since he is having so much diffculty you might want to strike it
from your list of options.

73,
...jerry
KA6HLD