[Xastir] Is there any one version of Linux better than another for xastir ?

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 19:11:55 EDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 10:54 PM, Tom, ve7did <ve7did at dccnet.com> wrote:
> I am running Slackware 12.1 right now.  Have been using Slackware for many
> years and it "just" works. I keep up to date with Xastir CVS and again it
> just works.  Using ax.25.   Also using it to run the Linux Winlink RMS node
> and again.  It just works.  Can't remember the last time I had problems.
> (Now I just jinxed myself...).
>
> Propagation Knows No Boundaries
> 73 de Tom,  ve7did

I installed Xastir a few years ago on the Slackware based Vector
Linux, and it was fine.  One thing about Slackware, however, is that
it is harder to find binary versions of some of Xastir's dependencies,
so depending on which dependencies the user needs, it could take
considerably longer to get everything set up prior to compiling Xastir
itself.

Recently I haven't had any trouble installing Xastir from CVS in
Ubuntu 10.04, PCLinuxOS 2010, Sidux 2010-01, Mandriva 2010.1 or Mepis
8.5.  I have to admit I haven't tried getting ax25 working in any of
them, so there may be differences there.  My personal preferences are
the non-Ubuntu Debian based distros (Mepis and Sidux), but there's
nothing scientific about that.

Lee - K5DAT
Murphy, TX