[Xastir] MAC and xastir issue

hans oeste hoeste at shaw.ca
Sun Aug 8 02:12:24 EDT 2010

I'm hoping some-one will be able to give me a hint or two on what the
problem might be with my xastir install.  Note that is a longer post as I
try to explain my difficulty.

This is an install on a MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard with xastir
compiled from CVS.

Instead of using fink, I'm using MacPorts for my library support.  Some of
these are installed as binary packages and some from source.  At this time,
I'll be honest and say I'm not sure which are which.  I'm also running the
latest version of X from XQuartz version 2.5.2 so the filesystem lives in
/opt instead of /sw as in Fink.  I took the snow leopard compile line from
the the wiki and made the appropriate adjustments to the includes and
library paths.

I'm getting the following errors when xastir is running:

Built-in map types:

      gnis   USGS GNIS Datapoints

       pop   USGS GNIS Datapoints w/population

       map   APRSdos Maps

       map   WinAPRS/MacAPRS/X-APRS Maps

       pdb   PocketAPRS Maps

Support for these additional map types has been compiled in:

       geo   Image Map (ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick library, many formats
allowed)

       geo   URL (Internet maps via libcurl library)

       geo   URL (OpenStreetMaps via libcurl library

                  Copyright OpenStreetMap and contributors, CC-BY-SA)

       shp   ESRI Shapefile Maps (Shapelib library)

       tif   USGS DRG Geotiff Topographic Maps (libgeotiff/libproj)

       xpm   X Pixmap Maps (XPM library)

       tab   MapInfo TAB

       mid   MapInfo MID

       mif   MapInfo MIF

       ddf   Spatial Data Transfer Standard (SDTS)

       rt1   US Census Bureau TIGER/Line

       s57   International Hydrographic Organization (IHO) S-57

       dgn   MicroStation DGN

Indexing maps...

Finished indexing maps

*** Reading WX Alert log files

*** Done with WX Alert log files

Sat Aug 07 20:41:49 PDT 2010:

        Interface Error!  Error opening interface 0 Time Out

1 File  could not be read

Magick: Improper image header (/Users/hoeste/.xastir/tmp/map.png).

Making user /Users/hoeste/.xastir/tracklogs/20100808-034204.kml file

1 File  could not be read

Magick: Improper image header (/Users/hoeste/.xastir/tmp/map.png).

Magick: Improper image header (/Users/hoeste/.xastir/tmp/map.png).

1 File  could not be read

Magick: Improper image header (/Users/hoeste/.xastir/tmp/map.png).

convert_from_xastir_coordinates:X out-of-range (too
low):18446744073682936579

1 File  could not be read

Magick: Improper image header (/Users/hoeste/.xastir/tmp/map.png).

1 File  could not be read

Magick: Improper image header (/Users/hoeste/.xastir/tmp/map.png).

Making user /Users/hoeste/.xastir/tracklogs/20100808-034736.kml file

1 File  could not be read

Magick: Improper image header (/Users/hoeste/.xastir/tmp/map.png).

1 File  could not be read

Magick: Improper image header (/Users/hoeste/.xastir/tmp/map.png).

Couldn't open file for appending: /Users/hoeste/.xastir/tmp

Making user /Users/hoeste/.xastir/tracklogs/20100808-035237.kml file

The lines that start with Magick: are lines where I've changed the zoom
level.

In addition, after xastir has run for several hours it starts spewing errors
regarding not being able to write to the config are and log area. The path
that is trying to write to is quite strange in that the path seems to be the
same path over and over again, just tacked onto the original path.  Very
strange.  I will leave xastir running overnite and give a sample massage or
two tomorrow.  it's shortly after that, that xastir will not display any
maps at all, just the positional point  have been logged.  Nothing I do
after that seems to restore the maps, zooming in or out.  I do notice that
the 'download' of the map tiles is a lot faster than what they should be
which leads me to believe that something breaks in the lib curl part of
things.

Lastly, even though I've restricted the area I'm interested in using /m 300
in the interfaces control I am still getting all data points to the entire
world, ie if I expand out to the entire world, I see positional data for
Europe, Asia, etc.

At this point not sure where to start with trouble shooting this issue, so
some pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hans Oeste

VE7OES