[Xastir] MAC and xastir issue

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 13:04:12 EDT 2010

On Sat, 7 Aug 2010, hans oeste wrote:

> This is an install on a MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard with xastir
> compiled from CVS.

> Instead of using fink, I'm using MacPorts for my library support.

> I'm also running the
> latest version of X from XQuartz version 2.5.2 so the filesystem lives in
> /opt instead of /sw as in Fink.  I took the snow leopard compile line from
> the the wiki and made the appropriate adjustments to the includes and
> library paths.

So it sounds like you've perused the various notes here already:

http://www.xastir.org/wiki/Installation_Notes#Mac_OSX

Hopefully a Mac person or two will answer this thread if I mess
something up.  I'm not into Macs.

> Sat Aug 07 20:41:49 PDT 2010:
>
>        Interface Error!  Error opening interface 0 Time Out

Most likely owner/group/permissions for your serial port.  Check the
group that owns the port and add yourself to that group, then log
out/log in and see if you still get the error.  Make sure group has
write privileges on that port as well.

> 1 File  could not be read
>
> Magick: Improper image header (/Users/hoeste/.xastir/tmp/map.png).

This message is probably the Snapshot code trying to make a snapshot
of the Xastir window.  Looks like you've got a problem with your PNG
library, or else the map.png file hadn't been created yet.  If you
don't need snapshots right now you can turn that off in the File
menu.

> convert_from_xastir_coordinates:X out-of-range (too
> low):18446744073682936579

Xastir until VERY recently printed that message when you zoomed out
beyond Earth boundaries.

> Couldn't open file for appending: /Users/hoeste/.xastir/tmp

Again something to do with snapshots I would presume.

> In addition, after xastir has run for several hours it starts spewing errors
> regarding not being able to write to the config are and log area.

Read the FAQ about the LANG setting.  The standard C libraries for
printf/sprintf/fprintf and for scanf/sscanf/fscanf change how they
operate based on the LANG setting.  If it isn't set to "C" or
"en_US" it messes up how the Xastir config file (and other files
perhaps) are read/written.

> it's shortly after that, that xastir will not display any
> maps at all, just the positional point  have been logged.  Nothing I do
> after that seems to restore the maps, zooming in or out.  I do notice that
> the 'download' of the map tiles is a lot faster than what they should be
> which leads me to believe that something breaks in the lib curl part of
> things.

Check that your libcurl is new enough to have the long-URL bug
fixed.  I suspect it's the LANG setting mentioned though.

At that point you can set up your LANG setting (just for Xastir if
you prefer), erase your ~/.xastir/config/xastir.cnf file, and
restart Xastir.  Xastir will recreate a default xastir.cnf file and
you can set up your configs again.  With the LANG setting correct,
Xastir shouldn't lose them.

> Lastly, even though I've restricted the area I'm interested in using /m 300
> in the interfaces control I am still getting all data points to the entire
> world, ie if I expand out to the entire world, I see positional data for
> Europe, Asia, etc.

If you don't transmit YOUR position to the APRS-IS then it doesn't
know how to filter based on that.