[Xastir] Item

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh KJ4ERJ at arrl.net
Mon Aug 16 13:57:37 EDT 2010

Curt, WE7U wrote:
> No, we don't.  I think you'll be the first.

Actually, I've had that support on the receiving end for over a year
now.  I just need to put a user-friendly face on the generation of such
a message.  It's actually trivially easy to do.  If a received message
body starts with ) (after the :XXXXXX-NN:) then pass the message body
(starting with the )) through the existing Item parser code and you're
done.  I don't even suppress the normal message display because I want
the receiving station to know that SOMETHING came in!  Eventually, I'll
be having custom message reception code that will "know" that's what
happened and offer to center on the received Item/Object.

> Do you support assigning tactical calls across the air?  That's
> something we implemented in Xastir for support of Events, but the
> user interface for doing so is not obvious.  We need to work on that
> to make it easier.  I usually have to look at my notes or the code
> to remember how to send a tactical call assignment.

You mean you can change a station's callsign with a specially crafted
message to the station?  Do you have any sort of from-call or
time-rotating password protection on that capability?  If not, I sure
wouldn't make it easy to craft packets to do so!

For remote configuration, I was planning to talk to the Tracker2 folks
(or is it the TinyTrak4?) that use the pre-generated list of one-shot
passwords.  I like that idea, although I haven't even enabled it in my
unit.  I do use the remote message-based configuration on my OT2m and
T2-135s to check it out and configure paths on the fly.