[Xastir] Item

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 15:08:39 EDT 2010

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh wrote:

> 1) "Send an e-mail message to TACTICAL"?  Should that be an APRS message to
> TACTICAL?

Yes.

> 2) How do you get the APRS-IS to deliver this to remote clients?  Or do you
> count on the Range of the sender of the message to deliver it?  I'm working
> with Pete to include a message group (g/XXXX) filter in the next APRS-IS
> revision just for this purpose.  Right now, there's no way for a xastir or
> APRSISCE/32 instance to receive all messages sent to TACTICAL or any other
> destination call-SSID.

It definitely depends on the filtering of the APRS-IS.  We used this
at the Seattle Marathon in 2008 and 2009 over ClearWire connections
between two stations doing SAG net control from separate locations
that couldn't talk via RF.  We set up our filtering properly so that
we'd get the tac-assignments, and then turned on the "display only
tac-calls" switch so we could ignore those not involved in the
marathon.

> 3) I'm assuming that "tactical call that is really long" implies that
> embedded spaces are supported in the tactical callsign?  Unfortunately, I'll
> be truncating that to the standard of 9 character maximum of station, object,
> and item calls.  Does xastir really display arbitrarily long callsigns on
> -screen?

Yes on embedded spaces, yes on long tac-calls.