[Xastir] Item

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh KJ4ERJ at arrl.net
Mon Aug 16 14:48:42 EDT 2010

Curt, WE7U wrote:
> http://www.xastir.org/wiki/Search_and_Rescue,_(SAR)#Tactical_Callsigns

Tactical Callsigns

Assign tactical calls to any station on the map! The local display will
show the tactical call instead of the callsign or object name until the
tactical call is erased. You may assign "Team 1", "Air 2", etc, up to 57
characters per tactical call. Send an e-mail message to TACTICAL with a
tac-call assignment and every Xastir and APRS+SA station that decodes
the message will display the same tactical callsign. The format for an
assignment is in the body of the message and this format:
"callsign-ssid=tactical call that is really long". To deassign a
tactical call do this: "callsign-ssid="

As with all good specifications, clarifications would be welcome:

1) "Send an e-mail message to TACTICAL"?  Should that be an APRS message
to TACTICAL?

2) How do you get the APRS-IS to deliver this to remote clients?  Or do
you count on the Range of the sender of the message to deliver it?  I'm
working with Pete to include a message group (g/XXXX) filter in the next
APRS-IS revision just for this purpose.  Right now, there's no way for a
xastir or APRSISCE/32 instance to receive all messages sent to TACTICAL
or any other destination call-SSID.

3) I'm assuming that "tactical call that is really long" implies that
embedded spaces are supported in the tactical callsign?  Unfortunately,
I'll be truncating that to the standard of 9 character maximum of
station, object, and item calls.  Does xastir really display arbitrarily
long callsigns on -screen?

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Hoping to do this (close to) right the first time....