[Xastir] problem serial/USB stick and Xastir

Kristoff Bonne kristoff.bonne at skypro.be
Wed Aug 18 14:22:05 EDT 2010

Hi,

For a ubuntu netbook (acer aspire one), I bought a cheap serial-to-USB
stick (company = "digitus", lsusb says this: "Bus 003 Device 002: ID
0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial
(UART) IC").

It shows itself as "/dev/ttyUSB0" on my box (ubuntu 10.06 netbook release).

However, I have a strange problem.
- When I use minicom to connect to my TNC2 using that USB device, all
works OK "device = /dev/ttyUSB0, setting = 9600/7/E/1"

- However, when I try to use it with Xastir I get all kinds of rubbish
on the input.

The packets input gives this:
  1:TNC-> 5SxECH=     ws OFF
  1:TNC-> c5d:BA
  1:TNC-> ON
  1:TNC-> ZWx>PEVERYjLxc5d:?    ad
  1:TNC-> c5d:ONen\KY>APUI+rJmN

Some text is readable (e.g. the "ON" and "OFF" messages, and a lot of
the numbers), but not all of it. Anycase, xastir does not recognise it
as valid APRS-messages.

Also note that what it sends seams to be OK as when I start up xastir,
or do "Transmit now!" in the Interfaces menu, it does send something.

The serial port setting is exactly the same as when using minicom (which
does work OK): 9600 7E1.

I tried this with another PC (HP laptop) which does have a normal
serial-port (something that is becoming rare :-) ), with ubuntu 10.06, I
have the same problem:

- minicom works OK (both with the normal serial port and with the
USB-stick)
- Xastir with the USB-stick gives rubish
- Xastir with normal serial port works OK.

Is anybody familiar with a "known issue" with Xastir about this?

I'm not sure what to think about it.
As it seams to work OK for minicom, I doesn't look like a driver problem.
But as it does work OK in xastir using the 'normal' serial port and not
using the USB-stick, it doesn't like like a problem for Xastir neither.

Perhaps, it's a bug in the driver that somehow gets triggered when using
Xastir and not when using minicom. (perhaps some different in opening
the serial port? Or a "ioctl" that is different.

If needed, I can post the result of the "open" and "ioctl" calls in a
"strace" I took of both programs.

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne. (ON5ARF ex. ON1ARF)