[Xastir] problem serial/USB stick and Xastir

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 14:53:54 EDT 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Kristoff Bonne
<kristoff.bonne at skypro.be> wrote:
> Hi,
>

> For a ubuntu netbook (acer aspire one), I bought a cheap serial-to-USB stick
> (company = "digitus", lsusb says this: "Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0403:6001
> Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC").

lucky you. FTDI is, in my experience, the best one available.

> It shows itself as "/dev/ttyUSB0" on my box (ubuntu 10.06 netbook release).
>

> However, I have a strange problem.
> - When I use minicom to connect to my TNC2 using that USB device, all works
> OK "device = /dev/ttyUSB0, setting = 9600/7/E/1"

You sure about that?  7 e 1?  It's usually 8 n 1.  (that's 7 data
bits, even parity, one stop bit and 8 data bits, no parity, one stop
bit respectively).

> - However, when I try to use it with Xastir I get all kinds of rubbish on
> the input.
>
> The packets input gives this:
>  1:TNC-> 5SxECH=     ws OFF
>  1:TNC-> c5d:BA
>  1:TNC-> ON
>  1:TNC-> ZWx>PEVERYjLxc5d:?    ad
>  1:TNC-> c5d:ONen\KY>APUI+rJmN

I seriously suspect that 7e1 is wrong and you need 8n1.

-Jason
kg4wsv