[Xastir] Serial port issues with Xastir on OS X

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 15:21:26 EDT 2010

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010, Matt Kassawara wrote:

> It
> works correctly with a standard terminal application for communicating with
> the TNC which eliminates any potential issues with permissions.

Not necessarily.  The terminal app you used might have SUID or SGID
privileges that let it talk to the serial port even though the user
doesn't have the proper permissions.

Try setting Xastir as SUID root (Owner root for the binary, then
"chmod 4755" against the binary) to see if that solves your problem.

If so and you don't want Xastir to run SUID root, you'll need to add
yourself to the group that owns the serial port and make sure that
the group has read/write privileges on the port.