[Xastir] Xastir and Netbooks

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 15:35:11 EDT 2010

On Thu, 19 Aug 2010, John Wilson wrote:

> On 08/19/2010 02:17 PM, Curt, WE7U wrote:
>> I don't own a netbook yet, but would a SignaLink USB work for you?
>> I know it's an additional box and cable, but it gives you VOX PTT
>> control as well as a separate soundcard to use for Soundmodem.
> That was going to be my next question and you answered it right away. I'm not
> immune to having a separate box, just would need details on the building of
> it.

No building.  You order it from HRO or other Ham distributors with a
cable that matches your rig, set some jumper wires inside the box,
plug it into USB, and you have a 2nd soundcard in your OS that can
talk to your radio.  Google for "SignaLink".  They're from
Tigertronics in OR.

> On 08/19/2010 02:17 PM, Curt, WE7U wrote:
>> Not a problem with the mixer, or with the OS selecting optical
>> in/out ports by default is it?  I've had issues with some Linux
>> OS'es selecting optical I/O and making it difficult to find the
>> right mixer to switch back to analog.
> I'd have to pass on that answer as I am not sure what it is or isn't doing. I
> was looking at the AX25 page(http://www.linux-ax25.org/wiki/Soundmodem) and
> it started going into great detail about the sound card. I know it isn't on
> the Xastir.org page and that is probably my first mistake but it started
> explaining in detail about setting up the sound card. I didn't take it any
> further because I was unsure about what needed to be done.
>
> Any terminal commands I can perform to check the performance of the card
> and/or if it is even recognized?

You can try playing some audio files out using various command-line
tools.  You can bring up "fldigi" and see if the waterfall display
shows noise and/or signals.

What OS are you running?