[Xastir] Xastir and Netbooks

John Wilson kc4lzn at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 15:21:33 EDT 2010

On 08/19/2010 02:17 PM, Curt, WE7U wrote:
> I don't own a netbook yet, but would a SignaLink USB work for you?
> I know it's an additional box and cable, but it gives you VOX PTT
> control as well as a separate soundcard to use for Soundmodem.
That was going to be my next question and you answered it right away.
I'm not immune to having a separate box, just would need details on the
building of it.

On 08/19/2010 02:17 PM, Peter Gamache/KC0TFB wrote:
> Keep in mind that with a $200 PC, there are going to be some quality
> sacrifices with the hardware.  Notably, I had to resolder the headphone
> jack (located on a daughterboard) on the AOA-150, it had a cold joint that
> produced crackly output.
...that wouldn't surprise me.

On 08/19/2010 02:17 PM, Curt, WE7U wrote:
> Not a problem with the mixer, or with the OS selecting optical
> in/out ports by default is it?  I've had issues with some Linux
> OS'es selecting optical I/O and making it difficult to find the
> right mixer to switch back to analog.
I'd have to pass on that answer as I am not sure what it is or isn't
doing. I was looking at the AX25
page(http://www.linux-ax25.org/wiki/Soundmodem) and it started going
into great detail about the sound card. I know it isn't on the
Xastir.org page and that is probably my first mistake but it started
explaining in detail about setting up the sound card. I didn't take it
any further because I was unsure about what needed to be done.

Any terminal commands I can perform to check the performance of the card
and/or if it is even recognized?

73 John